Wednesday, June 1, 2011

First Week

The first couple of months with the the 1000D were forcefully all indoor work. Our harsh winters here had me scared to take the camera outside until it was warmer or had a camera bag. I spent about three days with the manual reading everything about the basic modes. Then I started looking for things around the house to practice on.

Being a cook it made sense to start by taking photos of things I cooked. The subject wasn't going to move on me and it would allow me to play around with angles too. One day I made a tray of vegetarian lasagna and figured it was as good a time as any to do some shots. First was a pic of the full tray of lasagna.


This was shot in basic mode with the built in flash. All the settings were on auto. There was no digital editing done to this photo. The reds and yellows seemed well defined and the angle worked. Next was to get a frame of the finished product on a plate. All the same auto settings, but it took a few shots to get the focus right because of steam rising from the lasagna itself. End product turned out pretty good.


All in all it was a good start. I have been cooking for over 20 years and seen people paid crazy money to produce far worse work for menus. My next challenge was to figure out how to shoot without the flash. This was the night the Creative Modes section of the manual got read. No turning back.

No comments: