Sunday, August 24, 2008

It's all greek to me.....

Montrealer loses battle to paint Greek flag on garage door in Quebec Superior Court

ALAN HUSTAK
The Gazette

MONTREAL - A Pierrefonds man has been ordered to remove the huge Greek flag painted on the garage door of his house because it violates the borough's esthetic standards.

Quebec Superior Court judge France Charbonneau ruled last week that nothing prevents Theodore Antonopoulos from flying the Greek flag on his property, but that by painting blue and white stripes on a garage door he has violated a municipal bylaw that governs the overall look of the street.

"A municipality has the authority to set uniform standards within its jurisdiction and for the buildings within it," she writes.

The ruling has taken Antonopoulos by surprise.

"It's a shock to me. I haven't been informed, and the flag is still there," he told The Gazette this morning. "I will speak to my lawyer and see if there are grounds for an appeal. None of the neighbours have complained to me about it. None at all."

© The Gazette 2008

Now I don't know about you, but why the fuck would a superior court judge, who is so backed up, what with meth addled rapists and such waiting years to get their day in court, feel the need to take such fast action about the color coding of one poor bastard's garage door. I mean there are all kinds of better ways to spend his time. Personally, I think if you want paint a mural of Ron Jeremy and Bill Clinton playing poker with those dogs from the painting, knock yourself out. There are whole blocks, metro cars, buses etc. looking like something straight out of the Road Warrior thanks to graffiti and tagging, but this guys garage door is an obscenity. You just know that people are going to bombard the newspapers with photos of buildings painted white and blue from all over Quebec. I wonder if they would have bullied this man if it had been a Canadian flag guarding his Geo Metro.

1 comment:

Richard Landry said...

Thanks for yet another good read and healthy chuckle. Always a pleasure to hear your voice in my head.

later