Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Bicycle Basket

I have walked past this chained up bike for the past couple of months and always wanted to play around and snap some shots, but never had my camera on me when walking that direction. This morning I was headed out to take Nalin for some sidewalk action because my left knee was a little tender after a waterfront jaunt yesterday.

I grabbed my Canon and decided to get some shots of the bike and a new art installation on Verdun Ave. I turned the corner and got half way down the block and couldn't see the bike. Bummer. When I got closer I could see that there was a home nursing car pulled into the driveway right in front, obscuring it. When I go there I had about four feet between the car and the front tire of the bike. Thank god I had the 18 - 55 mm lens on and not the telephoto.



I flipped the menu on and pumped the image quality up to L+RAW so I would have more options in editing. I took about eight or nine shots looking straight on and looking over the corner of the basket.

In Lightroom, I added clarity, and ran recovery up to +70 to give definition to all the lines. Next I went +60 on the vibrance and cranked up the saturation to 70. I added just a touch of black to make the fence rungs pop. Lastly, I added a little temp and +21 to the tint.

Ideally I would have got this shot on an overcast morning and avoided glare and shadows. I will try a couple more times before the summer is out. Overall, I like the shots and am starting to get a better idea of what I want in an image.


No comments: